A great, crafty idea for a designated “chalk area” in the back yard. Keep your kids from using chalk all over the patio.
Here is an easy-to-clean way to nurture your child’s inner Picasso.
1) Get a 4′x8′ standard sheet of plywood from the hardware store (check to find the smoothest one you can get),
2) If needed, fill the knots and blemishes with outdoor wood putty.
3) After the putty dries, use the electric sander to create a smooth surface.
4) Feel free to cut your plywood into a smaller size, then give your board a coat of primer.
5) Purchase, and give your board 3 coats of chalkboard paint.
A 3′x4′ size works out well. It’s also big enough that there’s plenty of room to share when friends come over to play.
You can add a couple of hooks to hold a bucket full of chalk, a rag and a spray bottle for erasing. It erases dry, but a light spritz of water works even better.